South Otago High School

South Otago High School

Quality Education in a Supportive Community

slideshow1
slideshow1
img_2620
img_2620
Duke of Ed Hollyford
Duke of Ed Hollyford
EOTC Horse Riding
EOTC Horse Riding
EOTC Surfing
EOTC Surfing
Greenpark1
Greenpark1
Junior Production Dress Rehearsal
Junior Production Dress Rehearsal
Greenpark2
Greenpark2
dsc_2285
dsc_2285
OE Catlins River Walk
OE Catlins River Walk
Peer Support
Peer Support
Taieri Interchange
Taieri Interchange
Junior Production
Junior Production
Year 13 Rail Trail
Year 13 Rail Trail
Otago Athletics
Otago Athletics
img_2687
img_2687
img_2877
img_2877
img_2835
img_2835
img_2911
img_2911
  • Recent Posts

  • Categories

  • Archives

  • Principal’s Address 24th February 2017

    24th Feb 2017

    Dear Parents/Caregivers

    The big event this week was the 2017 Athletic Sports held on Wednesday. Prior to the big day a lot of preparation had been undertaken by the staff encouraging students to participate and the early morning start to prepare equipment from 7:30 in the morning. I would like to acknowledge all the help that went into making the day a great success for the students. In particular, Mr Palmer and Mrs Hannah who worked hard to make sure that the preparation for the day went well.

    For the majority of the students the day was filled with triumphs, fun and laughter. I spoke to a number of students during the day and they were having a great time. For some, this was their day to excel, for others it was a day to try and beat last year’s efforts or to give a new sport a try. There was also the added fun of some of the ‘non-Olympic’ athletic events such as the ‘gum boot toss!’

    I really appreciate the time some parents took to come and see their child compete. Your support is great to see. Although your teenager may claim to be ‘embarrassed by you’ they do actually (secretly) appreciate that you take the interest in their participation! Unfortunately, I did not get the opportunity to speak to all the parents on the day but thank you for coming and joining us.

    Sadly, there was the 1% minority who did not make the most of the opportunity to participate in a constructive manner. It is disappointing that these students occupy so much time and detract from the positive work for the other 99% who enjoy and gain so much from this event.

    Meet the mentor

    Once again, thank you to those parents and students who attended the meet the mentor evening. I hope that you found the night informative and constructive. The school can not solely raise the achievement of our young people. It is a partnership between the student, school and home. We each need to do our part for the benefit of the student. With the forthcoming conferencing meetings we will be expecting between 90 and 95% attendance. We will be making contact to encourage you to attend these events.

    Our aim is not just to raise achievement but also to work in partnership to ensure that our young people are well prepared for tertiary study, employment or training beyond school.

    Year 9 Parent/ Student survey

    This week all Year 9 students have been given a survey to be filled in by the student and parent. The survey is due to be returned by Friday 3 March. All surveys received will go in the draw for a $50 Warehouse voucher. We encourage all Year 9 students and parents to complete this survey to assist with our planning for 2018.

    Finally

    We have our Year 10 camp at Tautuku coming up. I have spoken with students about the opportunity to be challenged, have fun and learn new skills. We expect all Year 10 students to attend. If parents have any difficulty regarding this camp, be it equipment, payment or preparation please do get in contact with the school as soon as possible so that we can work together to find a solution for the benefit of the student.

    Kia Ora Tatou

    Mike Wright

    Principal