Principal’s Address 27th July 201827th Jul 2018
Kia Ora Tatou
Recent ERO visit
The Education Review Office (ERO) have released their finalised report for SOHS from the onsite visit last term. This report is a positive one and a reflection of the hard work that has gone on over the last 3 years.
There are a number of strengths highlighted in the report. A few of the key statements to come out of the report include:
- The design of the school’s curriculum is future-focused and enabling students to succeed at and beyond school
- School systems show a well-placed and equal emphasis on student engagement, wellbeing, progress and achievement
- The curriculum in action is highly responsive to ensure every student is learning and making sufficient progress to achieve their personalised achievement and progress goals
- Most y9 and 10 students are achieving at or above the school’s expectations
- Usually 90% or more students gain NCEA level 2
- The achievement of literacy and numeracy at NCEA levels has remained high
- Overall achievement and progress for Maori learners in NCEA Level 2 and 3 are good
- The school can show good levels of accelerated progress at all year levels
- Students with additional needs are well supported and having greater inclusion in mainstream learning
- Leaders and teachers know the learners well
- The school has a strong culture of reflection that leads to modifications to better realise the school priority of increased student engagement
ERO and the school leadership team both noted the importance of imbedding the changes the school has made in recent years.
These statements support our focus on making the SOHS experience meaningful for all of our students. We pride ourselves on being a proactive member of the wider Clutha community and preparing our students for life beyond school. The opportunities available to our students both inside and out of the classroom make their experiences meaningful and engaging. I would like to thank the students, staff and BoT for all the work they did when ERO was here to highlight to them the work that has been done to engage students in meaningful pathways whilst at SOHS.
The full report will be available on the school website as well as the ERO website in the near future.
There is currently a survey out to all students, parents and staff regarding a student proposal for a hoodie to be added to the official school uniform. We are seeking as much input as possible before any decision is made. Any alteration to the uniform is a big decision that has quite wide reaching implications. Please share with us your thoughts on this matter either way. Once all of this data has been collected it will be shared with the BoT and a final decision will be made in a timely manner.
The term has started with a sense of enthusiasm. It is a big term ahead with senior exams, head student selection for 2019, option selections for Years 10-12 for next year, tournament week and another round of conferencing due. Please take the opportunity to contact your child’s mentor, Year Level Dean or a Senior Leader if you have any queries or concerns.
Mr Paul McDowall